Duke seeks Neurosurgeon for Durham VA Medical Center

Neurosurgery
Physician

Duke Neurosurgery is seeking an experienced Neurosurgeon to join the department as the second fulltime neurosurgeon based at the Durham VA Medical Center.  The Durham VA Medical Center is a 271-bed tertiary care referral, teaching, and research facility affiliated with Duke University School of Medicine and conveniently located directly across the street from Duke University Hospital. 

The successful candidate for this position will have completed a post-residency spine fellowship, be BC/BE by the ABNS, and have a passion for caring for the veteran population.  Experience with minimally invasive spine surgery techniques are preferred. Preference will be given to candidates with broad-based clinical experience and with demonstrated excellence in the academic environment and a commitment to mentoring Duke’s neurosurgical residents.  Opportunities for protected basic science and clinical research time exist.  Faculty rank and nationally benchmarked salary will be commensurate with training and experience. 

The approximate case mix is 70% degenerative spine and spine oncology with the remaining 30% comprised of general neurosurgery.  The new hire will not be expected to perform functional neurosurgery or peripheral nerve procedures unless there is specific interest.  Residents assist in all OR cases as well as in the management of the inpatient service.

Duke Neurosurgery has OR time 5 days/week at the VA.  Night call is currently handled by Duke’s Trauma service and the hired physician will participate in staff call support.  On average, there are 1-2 non-urgent consults per night with first call handled by the on-call resident. Urgent operative cases occur about once every 3-6 months.

The greater Triangle area of Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill is family-friendly, while offering young singles many options for an active outdoor and social life. The Research Triangle Park, a globally prominent high-tech research and development center conceived around the three academic centers in the region, has made the area culturally diverse, economically resilient, and nationally recognized as a great place to live and work. 

Interested candidates should apply with CV and letter of interest via the APPLY button

Location

Durham
NC

Contact Information

Suzanne Anderson

Equal Opportunity Employer

Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individuals age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.

Apply