Veterans Administration Hospital - Chief, Emergency Medicine – Durham, North Carolina
The Emergency Department Chief provides guidance and oversight to the ED and also functions as an Emergency Department provider in all aspects of patient care. The incumbent reports to the Deputy Chief of Staff and serves as a clinical resource for the Medical Center. The Emergency Department Chief provides administrative, clinical and programmatic leadership to ensure achievement of the clinical and education goals of the Emergency Department. The Chief of the Emergency Department serves as a key clinical resource for the Medical Center Director and Chief of Staff.
The Staff Physician is expected to have academic credentials commensurate for faculty appointment in the Emergency Department to the Durham VAMC affiliate, Duke University.
The incumbent must have:
- Knowledge of the ED systems and its regulations.
- Knowledge of resources management and continuous quality improvement processes.
- Management experience with strong administrative and interpersonal skills.
- Skill in providing clinical interface with academic affiliates and other key stakeholders.
- Research and teaching experience to further ongoing ED activities alongside academic affiliates.
The Emergency Department Director's primary responsibilities include:
- Recruiting and retaining well qualified ED physicians as well as a pool of moonlighters to provide night/weekend and holiday to ensure adequate coverage.
- Serving as ED liaison with hospital administration and medical staff; managing the relationships with relevant departments at the Durham VA's academic affiliate; and fostering a vibrant teaching program for rotating residents and medical students.
- The incumbent must demonstrate leadership skills and a high degree of personal and professional skills, interpersonal relations, critical thinking, and problem solving and conflict resolution. The Emergency Department Chief supervises a variety of staff, who are aligned under the Emergency Department and works closely with staff who are aligned under other departments such as Nursing.
Commonly referred to as "The Triangle," Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill offer many options for families, outdoor activities, unique shops, dining and nightlife. The Research Triangle Park (RTP) is one of the largest research parks in the world, named for the three major research universities in these three cities. This globally prominent high-tech research and development center has made the area culturally diverse, economically resilient, and nationally recognized as a great place to live.
Interested candidates should apply with CV and letter of interest via the APPLY button.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individuals age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.